You got something you wanna say?

Email me direct at: submonkey1@gmail.com

Monday, February 27, 2012

Build Blog - 450 T-Rex Clone Helicopter

So.. it appears that this blog is going to turn into some sort of magnificently wonderful build blog for a new-found hobby.

Helicopters.

Remote control Helicopters.

Because I don't know much about the mechanics of them I have decided, with the help and encouragement of my most wonderful friend, to build my own. As, you know, a learning experience.

So here you have it.

All the items used in the Heli were ordered from HobbyKing.com who, based on my limited experience, have reasonable prices and good service.

Tonight was the first night of actually trying to put together the Heli and after this experience I have to say I think its going to be a long and challenging process. Remembering that I have exactly zero experience with these sorts of things.

So if you read this, be patient with me, and don't laugh TOO hard when I get things wrong. And I WILL get things wrong. If you are going to pick on me, at least make it clever and quirky.

Anyway, on to the important things... Here is the initial mess!


Just like Laura Palmer, it's all wrapped in plastic, Twin Peaks style.





Initially I had planned on following the instructions provided by Mikey's RC, which you can find here: http://www.mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html

When I finally got to the part where the build starts I realised that my Heli Kit wasn't completely pre-built so I had to take a step back, search the internet to source an instruction manual for my kit and break out my brand new Helicopter tool kit and start screwing.

The instruction manual I sourced, via the website where I initially bought my kit www.hobbyking.com, seems thorough with a lot of exploded views, however the kit depicted it slightly different to the one I have, so I am figuring out things myself a little bit. Hopefully my special version of common sense works out and I end up with a Helicopter that's not built inside out or upside down.

After an hour I have ended up with this:


Now, before you say anything, the rotor head is lying on the table BEHIND the helicopter body. NOT out of the nose. The image is slightly deceiving. I do know that the blades usually come out of the top!

One of the things I took away with me after starting tonight is that tomorrow I'll be going out to buy a magnet so I can zap up all the screws I drop! It's just gonna make it easier in the long run.

At that point I ran out of oomph and plan to pick it up again tomorrow. The hope is to be able to find an hour a day to dedicate to the creation of my little 450, and then once complete, learn how to fly it upside down!

For now it will sit on the Kitchen table that doubles as my work bench and I will hope that the cat doesnt chew it.

No comments: