You got something you wanna say?

Email me direct at:

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

1st Weekend of Building

So the weekend, whilst also full of other distractions, saw me get quite a bit further with the heli. With sincerest thanks to heliwill10 on for giving me directions on how to fix my little problem with the tail boom and the drive belt.

It took a little bit of extra help from Android78 but I did get there in the end, and I will know for next time exactly how its all supposed to fit together, which is the aim of this little project anyhows. We love to learn.

Here is a pic of me with the successfully installed drive belt and tail boom. HOORAY!

So the next step was to start attaching the servos and all the other parts to make it go.

Initially this seemed easy enough, but ended up being fiddly and time consuming for me, even with the extra pair of hands and expertise provided by an excellent friend (I kept insisting I had to do everything myself). We got two of the servos in the right places, although there was some debate about which direction they should face and which end the heads should be at, but I'm pretty sure its all together and in the right directions now.

This picture makes it look like its got pigtails...

... and a side view

We did install the third servo at the back, for some reason I didn't take a picture of this. The third one, sitting at the back near the tail turned out to be the most difficult of all, first of all to determine which way it went in, and then HOW to get it in turned about a little tricky.

After about half an hour of trying to force it into a small space and then figuring out that it just wasnt going to go, we realised that we could actually pull the servo apart (dont worry I have spares just in case!) and then get it in that way.

Now, the next big question I face is where to put everything else. The motor speaks for itself, but the battery, the speed controller and the connector (oh man I hope I have that all right, or I'm going to sound like a ditz) all have to fit somewhere. I'm thinking battery in the nose in front of the motor, esc above that and the connector (that I affectionately refer to as 'that other thing') behind the motor in the back of the heli body.

I've been told that this might cause problems and that I should think about adjusting this configuration so, again, I look to you, good people of the interwebs and experts of the forum, to guide my decision making process with your words of wisdom and experience.

In the meantime I will keep building what I can, and this week I plan on breaking out the soldering iron and getting in some practice so when it comes to it, I don't accidentally solder all the connectors to the table by accident!